irrelevant

Hi,

Did you really investigate tetex-bin?  It is completely
irrelevant with the current problem you claimed, I believe.

It doesn't modify any conffile but only asks how to set
permissions of a file and/or asks which hyphenation pattern
to load.

Further,

   The first thing it asked me was whether I wanted to "manage" its
   configuration file with Debconf, and it defaulted to "yes"!

this doesn't immediately mean always

   This behavior needs to stop, now.  It is a violation of Policy, section
   11.7.3, which states that local changes must be preserved during a
   package upgrade.

It would be possible to preserve local changes with debconf
in some cases, IMHO, and there might be good reason to set
default answer to "yes".

   But that's just making things a bit nicer.  In the meantime, I will be
   filing serious bugs against packages which have "manage with debconf"
   prompts (except XFree86), ESPECIALLY the ones which default to yes.

Why except only XFree86?  Do you really know every other
packages situation well enough?

I believe we should be, generally, more flexible with conffile
handling.  We need to reset a computer sometimes...

Thanks,				2003.4.18(Fri)

 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@debian.org>
 Department of Math., Univ. of Tokushima