Re: Debian for x86-64 (AMD Opteron)

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 09:42:52PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> On Friday 11 April 2003 15:49, Emile van Bergen wrote:
>
> > You do want to allow both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of libraries to be
> > installed, for which you need different package names; you want to avoid
> > adding fields to a package's "primary key", so that the dependency tree
> > assmebly mechanisms can be left as they are.
>
> Yes, but what I also want to avoid is having to change every single instance
> of 'Depends: libfoo' to 'Depends: libfoo [! x86_64, sparc64, s390x, ppc64,
> hppa64], lib64foo [x86_64, sparc64, s390x, ppc64, hppa64]' and then changing
> them all again for mips64 ;-).

You don't need that. Depends: libfoo will just stay Depends: libfoo.
No lib64foo will be pulled in, as it has a DIFFERENT PACKAGE NAME.

> What I have in mind is something along the lines of
>  libfoo   'Provides: libfoo(32bit)'
>  lib64foo 'Provides: libfoo(64bit)'
>  bar      'Depends: libfoo($BITSIZE)'
> I don't know if it's possible to teach dpkg and the other tools about this.

I really have lost all clue of what you think is missing from current
behaviour.

- lib64foo /already/ provides lib64foo.
- bar (a binary 64 bit package) can /already/ depend on lib64foo (and
  not libfoo).

What's the problem?

Emile.

--