Re: Fakeroot to obsolete DESTDIR

Hi,

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 12:26:38 +0000, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> What I propose to do is to slightly extend fakeroot to also intercept
> open/diropen. If the open call would create a file, redirect it to
> /.../debian/tmp or some such location. If the call would open a file,
> first check /.../debian/tmp and then /.

This breaks for any installer which checks if the new file and the old
file are different before replacing the old file.

> To illustrate this, lets take an example: (here libbar depends on
> libfoo)

Library dependencies may or may not be resolved using the open() call from
a preloaded library. (Actually, I think they aren't. Did you check?)

Personally I would NOT depend on it, regardless of whether it currently
works or not.

WRT the patch size, I suggest that $DESTDIR is needed for things other
than Debian packages. Examples: RPM packaging. Installing onto AFS
volumes. Therefore the "large diff" is going to be accepted into the next
upstream release, given a reasonably reasonable upstream author.

IMHO, maintainers who package stuff from non-reasonable upstreams
typically have worse problems than adding $DESTDIR to a few places...

--
Matthias