Re: Debian for x86-64 (AMD Opteron)

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 03:33:39PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

[SNIP]
> So basically, I don't think this is a very good idea. However I think we
> can solve it differently in a much simpler way:
>
> * modify dpkg (already planned) to allow it to install packages from
>   different architectures on a system where it makes sense
> * change the naming of the libraries, for example by adding '64' to the
>   64bit version of a library
>
> That way you could do something like:
>
> # echo x86-64 >> /etc/dpkg/legal-archs
> # dpkg -i libgtk2-2.0-1_i386.deb
> # dpkg -i lib64gtk2-2.0-1_x8664.deb

To my untrained eye, this seems an excellent and very general solution.

As a slight but positive side effect, it also seems to open the way to
per-CPU optimized library versions; if you have a 686, you add 686 (or
686-cmov) to /etc/dpkg/legal-archs, and can install either

libssl0.9.6-0.9.6c-2_i386.deb or
libssl0.9.6-0.9.6c-2_i686.deb;

on a x86-64 you'd have the choice between those same two plus

libssl0.9.6-0.9.6c-2_x8664.deb

Of course, that's only the dpkg side of things; in any case, you'd still
need a way to present the extra choices caused by legal-archs in
dselect. How would that be done?

Cheers,

Emile.

--