Re: Debian for x86-64 (AMD Opteron)

GOTO Masanori <gotom@debian.or.jp> writes:

> Almost all libraries are not concerned, so most applications on
> sparc64 and s390x are worked under 32bit.  32 bit is sufficient for
> almost personal users, but it's not for commercial use and probably
> future personal use (for handling large DVD/blueray movie data or
> so).

On x86-64, things might be a bit different, though, because the 64 bit
variant has more registers and therefore gcc might produce better code
and binaries might run faster. If that is the case, 64 bit libraries
and programs would generally be preferable. I don't know whether it is
actually the case, though.

--
	Falk