Re: Sections

On Sun, 2003-04-06 at 20:37, Mark Howard wrote:
>   Reading the discussions based on bug #187245, it seems that most
> people agree that package sections are fairly useless. Freshmeat style
> trove categorisation is quite an interesting idea, but it would then
> make it quite difficult to produce tools like aptitude which could
> potentially list all possible packages in a tree - there would be too
> much duplication.

Why is this a problem?  Packages have various characteristics
and so can appear at various location in the listing.

> I think it would be a good idea to copy the excellent work of the new
> menu system - have a set of defined start sections and allow developers
> to set hints for others. This seems to be very successful in the menu -
> despite no formal organisation. (Perhaps the menu section could be taken
> directly from the package section, only including apps and games in the
> menus - this would be a real bonus to the menu as it would make sure
> that all apps are listed there)

Keep in mind that one package can contain a variety of
things, including a variety of programs which may
appear at different places in an application menu.
There is no 1:1 mapping between programs and packages.
--
Thomas Hood <jdthood0@yahoo.co.uk>