Re: master.debian.org randomly deferring mail

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 12:40:17PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> 0C175AA583     2389 Thu Mar 27 01:12:55  joey@kitenet.net
> (host master.debian.org[65.125.64.135] said: 451 rejected: can't currently verify any sender in the header lines (envelope sender is <joey@kitenet.net>) - try later (in reply to end of DATA command))
>
> I've no idea what master is trying to do to "verify any sender in the
> header lines".

That's the headers_sender_verify Exim setting. For some reason, it couldn't
verify that the envelope sender existed for those messages. You would need
to look at exim logs on master to see what exactly tripped over the wire.

> Attempts to get a Debian admin to track this down have been unsuccessful,
> and I give up.

I have also complained to them about these options from master:/etc/exim.conf

# This drops messages from people with invalid sender addresses. Greatly
# prevents double bounces.
headers_check_syntax = true
sender_verify = true
headers_sender_verify = true
sender_verify_fixup = true

I have reason to believe that this _fixup option in particular has caused
spams to be let through in the past, as master would assign its credentials
to invalid messages rather than rejecting them. I could be wrong, but then,
it doesn't seem like anyone actually investigated and confirmed this...

Also, there's sender_try_verify which is a less severe version of
sender_verify. In that vein, there's also receiver_try_verify.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.