Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

Thomas Hood wrote:
> So, are there any technical obstacles to putting the
> run-time state files in a subdirectory of /etc rather
> than in the root directory?
>
> The advantage of /etc/run (or /etc/whatever) over /run is
> that it is compatible with the FHS: the FHS allows new
> subdirectories in /etc but not in /.
>
> The objection was raised that this would make /etc
> heterogeneous in that it would contain both static and
> volatile configuration files.  I don't think this is a
> serious problem, however.  /etc/run can be a separate and
> different kind of filesystem (e.g., tmpfs).
>
> Any other objections?

I second this. There is similar stacking (/usr/local in /usr, /var/mail
in /var, etc...) in the FHS already. The policy for /usr does not
apply for /usr/local so the policy for /etc need not to apply to
/etc/run.

Also /etc/run do not clutter the / which was a concern outside FHS
compliance.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>