How to run pdebuild?

I suppose you could just su first, then run pbuilder build or pdebuild.  Maybe
someone else can help you with the way you are trying to do it, but here's
what I did instead.  I installed sudo, which pbuilder uses by default for
pbuilderroot, and added the following line to /etc/sudoers:

neil  ALL=(ALL) /usr/sbin/pbuilder

(neil is the account I use to build Debian packages).  I set the directories
where I want the building to occur in /etc/pbuilderrc.  Then, I just cd to the
main directory of the package source code, and execute "pdebuild" with no
arguments.  That's it.