Re: Introducing Alioth: SourceForge for Debian

Le Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 11:05:05AM -0600, Drew Scott Daniels écrivait:
> Is this SourceForge as in sourceforge.net's latest code,
> savannah.nongnu.org, or the old free sourceforge.net code?

The old free sf code, as packaged in the sourceforge package.

> the savannah homepage for "Debian Sourceforge" I found a link to
> http://gforge.org/ and I wonder if this is almost the same project?

If you follow your reeaserch, you'll learn that Roland Mas who packaged
sourceforge with Christian Bayle is also an author of gforge. So it's
normal to have similarities ...

> this is the case with the debian BTS? I found an example of a BTS page on
> Alioth at http://alioth.debian.org/bugs/?group_id=17. It seems to be
> the standard sourceforge BTS and not Debian's. I think that an effort to
> harmonize the two would be appropriate, but it may also be appropriate to
> disable the Sourceforge style BTS to avoid having two BTS's.

Nope, that's the choice of each project. For projects dedicated to
packaging (ie for comaintenance) a SF BTS doesn't make sense ... so the
project admin can disable it. But it may make sense for documentation or
for other projects (upstream bugs in SF and packaging bugs in the
Debian BTS).

> I wonder if some of lists.debian.org/the debian mailing lists will be
> replaced with the lists that Alioth can provide. An example of the

No. We don't do useless work for the sake of it ... :)

> potential replacement of mailing lists can be found at
> http://alioth.debian.org/mail/?group_id=31 but it seems that they don't

It's not replacement mailing list but just mailing list dedicated to the
"upstream" development of minicom (and yes it's done by a debian
developer).

> I think it should be mandated that the short names in Alioth not conflict
> with debian package names. I.e. looking up
> http://alioth.debian.org/projects/debian-package-name/ would not reveal a
> project unrelated to the debian package by the same name. Perhaps this

Please trust the alioth admins ... we don't need people to tell us what
we need to do.

We decided to imose a naming convention already for people who wish to
use alioth for package maintenance. They have to name their project
"pkg-<package>" ...

> Some co-ordination with the maintainer(s) of packages.qa.debian.org to
> get links between it and the Alioth pages (project summaries, cvs's etc)

Funnily, I wrote the PTS and I don't see that as an urgent need. The PTS
already has features to let the maintainer add some links (but those
features will only be enabled when master switch to stable ...) and
that's enough for that.

> Developers. I wonder if this shouldn't be somehow co-ordinated with the
> package maintainers field or the package maintainers information on
> packages.qa.debian.org. I suppose it should be left to the individual

You want to impose a tight link between Debian's package and alioth
projects. I don't. The reason is simple, they are not necessarily
linked. Not all projects on alioth have Debian packages and vice-versa.

> there is still no clear way to get the code or a separate mailing list or
> any information (that I can find) about upstream.

The code is in quantz.debian.org:~wichert/source/sourceforge-2.5/
The alioth admins can be reached at admin@alioth.debian.org

> Fwiw, http://alioth.debian.org/mail/?group_id=3 produces
> "Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /usr/lib/sourceforge/www/include/Project.class on line 164"
> I just typed it in and wasn't following a link. Sometimes I get "No
> Lists", sometimes "Lists are Diabled", and sometimes I get that error.

And what do you expect ? You can't invent valid URLs like that ... not
all projects number correspond to real projects (we have hidden projects
for the various groups available on the Debian machines).

> are quickly adopting Alioth (I see there's at least 77 projects right
> now).

But we started at 57 ... that's because of the 57 hidden projects
mentionned above.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog -+- http://www.ouaza.com