How to split ekg package?

Hi!

There is a package (ekg), which till now was built with the following
options passed to configure:

  --enable-ui-readline
  --enable-ui-ncurses
  --without-openssl

ui-* are user interfaces using libreadline / libncurses. OpenSSL was
disabled because EKG was GPL.

Now upstream has added an exception to the license which allows linking
to openssl. Since libreadline is pure GPL, I cannot make a package with
all three options enabled. Therefore I want to make two packages, so the
users can choose which is more important for them: readline support or
encrypted chats. They would both provide an ekg binary by the
"alternatives" mechanism.

How should I do it? I can think of the following alternatives:

1)
ekg:	 as it is now (readline & ncurses)
ekg-ssl: openssl and ncurses enabled, readline disabled

This would fit the "least surprise" rule, but then
not all people would be aware of the -ssl flavor.

2)
ekg:		openssl and ncurses enabled, readline disabled
ekg-readline:	as it is now (readline & ncurses)

This could be most comfortable to those who only use ncurses interface
(which is the majority of the user base), but would be a big surprise
for those who use readline.

3)
ekg-ssl:	openssl and ncurses enabled, readline disabled
ekg-readline:	as it is now (readline & ncurses)

This way both packages could conflict and replace with ekg << current
version and this would help users find out about the split (right?).
However I don't like this idea, because this way no package has the
name exactly matching the program name.

Or maybe there is another, better way?
Any input welcome.

regards,

Marcin
--
Marcin Owsiany <porridge@debian.org>             http://marcin.owsiany.pl/
GnuPG: 1024D/60F41216  FE67 DA2D 0ACA FC5E 3F75  D6F6 3A0D 8AA0 60F4 1216