Re: [Moshe Zadka <m@moshez.org>] Independent Count

>> On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 17:29:04 -0300,
>> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> said:

 > And to allow that, we need to change voting procedures, to preserve
 > secrecy of the voting...  the ballots would have to be cyphertext,
 > with a signature wrapping the cyphertext, or something to that
 > effect.

	At some point this should trigger a discussion of
 a) Why we need secrecy (the argument I have heard is so that people
    can vote freely without worrying about potential animosity from
    the person they did not vote for, or a pressure to vote for
    someone they are close to). If the candidates can't see the
    results, does it matter if more than one person can see the
    results?
 b) The cost of correctly voting. Already we have a higher than
    previously ration of rejected votes. encrypting the vote to a
    voting key, and wrapping that another signed message, would
    likely make voting too difficult for a number of people.
 c) All this would need tested, working code in devotee before next
    elections, nu?

	manoj

--
Recipe for a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster: Take the juice from one
bottle of Ol' Janx Spirit Pour into it one measure of water from the