Re: should I orphan linux-wlan-ng?

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Adam Heath wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
>
> > Eduard's complaint that a user who buys a binary-only CD set will be
> > stuck without sources for linux-wlan-ng and other packages that don't
> > have -source packages is legitimate.  It's hard to claim that the users
> > should expect to find system sources on their CDs, though, if they
> > bought binary-only CD sets.
>
> The better solution is to tag such source packages as special, and include
> them in a special area on a binary cd.
>
> This tagging and including mechanism could be done in d-i, and may not require
> intervention from ftpmaster.

Actually, here is what I hashed out on irc.

Add extra fields to the first paragraph of debian/control, to describe the
source package.  Description comes to mind.

Change the dependency list format, so ':' is used to separate package name
dependencies into different splines(bin(default, if unspecified), src,
data(for the mythical Data section)).  This would work for Conflicts, Depends,
source dependencies, etc.

Modify programs as needed.

Additionally, when one built local packages, one could change the default
spline, so that debs that are produced would have this new spline prepended.
But I haven't really thought about the issues with this idea tho.

An example debian/control snippet:

Source: mozilla
Section: web
Maintainer: Real Name <user@domain.com>
 Herein lies the source for mozilla, an uber-cool cross-platform web-browser.
 You may find a kitchen sink as well.

Package: mozilla-tracker
Depends: src:mozilla
Conflicts: mozilla
 This package allows a local admin(or user) to maintain custom compiled
 packages of mozilla.  One can select cpu optimization, different modules to
 include or exclude, etc, and when this package is upgraded, users can be
 given the oppurtunity to recompile their binaries.