Re: vmware failure on current Debian/Sid

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 15:41:19 -0500
"James D. Freels" <jdfreels@comcast.net> wrote:

> Something on the current Debian/Sid (03/23/2003) is causing
> vmware-3.2.0 (build 2230) to break.  The symptom is that vmware starts
> up as normal, then just at the time of login (shortly after clicking
> the login icon), the X-window image of vmware virtual machine (in my
> case Windows-XP) simply vanishes.  I have tried several things
> including downgrading the compiler to v2.95 of gcc and recompiling the
> kernel and all modules (including the vmware modules), using the
> xfree86 xserver instead of the nvidia server, etc.  All give the same
> result.  Finally, I transferred to vmware images over to a
> Debian/Testing machine, and it works just fine.  Further, I transfered
> a vmware virtual machine from a Debian/Testing machine (separate and
> different virtuam machine running Windows-XP), and it failed on this
> Debian/Sid machine.  Therefore, it is an issue with the Debian/Sid
> software of some kind.  Below is the relavant section from the vmware
> log file at the time of failure:

It must be a problem with your configuration or your home-made kernel,
because it works just fine on my Debian Sid with debian
kernel-2.4.20-686. I'm using the same VMWare tarball to run Win98 and
Linux, and I haven't seen any problems so far which makes me think it's
not sarge/sid related.
By the way, I guess your post isn't quite on the good list, because
VMWare development and/or issues are not appropriate here. Try
debian-user maybe.

--
Lucas Moulin <lucas@brebis.org>
"Why go against tradition when we can admit defeat, live in decline, be