Re: Categorization of packages (was Re: Aptitude, ARs)

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 05:14:41PM -0500, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 11:54:41AM -0800, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> was heard to say:
> > At the same time, current "Categorical Browser" can be fed with a data
> > generated with keyword approach.  This latter was the thing I was
> > considering since tagging package is time consuming and directly
> > creating Daniel's current feed data is a bit too tedious and error
> > prone.
>
>   This would be a good place to point out that the category generator
> isn't particularly tied to its current data source; anything that stores
> a DAG should be usable (although obviously some input formats are going to
> be easier to parse than others :) )

Yes.  That's why I like aptitude.

> > I agree.
> > I think it will be more like:
> >  desktop/gnome/wordprocessor -> abiword
> >  desktop/wordprocessor/gnome -> abiword
> >  desktop/wordprocessor/tex   -> lyx
> >
> > I usually have patience to look at up to 25 (1 screen).
> >
> > 25*25*25 = 15625 branch ends.
>
>   That's only true if it's balanced; remember that about half those
> packages are editors ;-)  Also, some leaves might appear in multiple
> places.

Yes.  That is why at least 3 levels are needed for current Debian
archive.  You always made a small sub group if the belong to both
branch.  But since these cross over sub-category are created manually,
it is not much used.  In Daniels sub-categorization, I was observing
something like:

  editor-wordprocessor-tex node contain lyx package

  editor-wordprocessor and  tex-tools nodes both contain
  editor-wordprocessor-tex node as sub-node

Also some sub-category can cross over (tex and editor) but some are just
subdivision of the other (game --> game-action, game-tetris, ...).

Anyway, freshmeet categorization is interesting. I extracted its keys
from the source of its web page :-)  Instead of pushin current
categorization, I may choose to use that one.

As you said in document:

> PACKAGES ===> LIMIT ===> GROUP POLICY 1 ===> (GROUP POLICIES 2..N) ==> TREE
>
>   Packages come from the package cache (on the left) and are filtered
>   through the tree's display limit, followed by any number of grouping
>   policies.  Each grouping policy will take action on a package based
>   on the rules for that policy: it may discard the package altogether,
>   it may insert it into a tree, or it may pass it onto the next
>   grouping policy.  These policies are produced by "grouping policy
>   factories". Grouping policy factories are classes which, as the name
>   suggests, have a method which produces a grouping policy when called
>   They are essentially closures hacked into C++.

I thought 'l' gives some way to "limit".  Where is its documentation
other than the source code. Or you mesn it does not work yet?

Osamu
        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract