Re: aptitude, recommends, suggests

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 09:12:40PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > > Somewhat at cross purposes to the above, I think it would be better if
> > > aptitude could default suggested packages to not installed, but display
> > > them anyway as suggestions on the dependency resolution screen (or on
> > > its closest existing counterpart, the screen you get when you hit 'g').
> >
> > It is a menu configuration item under dependency..
> >
> >  Automatically resolve dependencies of a package when it is selected.
> >   [X] Automatically fix broken packages before installing or removing
> >   [X] Install Recommended packages automatically
> >   [X] Install Suggested packages automatically
> >   [X] Remove unused packages automatically
>
> No, those knobs control whether aptitude auto-selects all recommended
> and suggested packages. My suggestion is that aptitude behave more like
> dselect for suggestions -- display suggested packages to the user so they
> can easily select them, but do not select them by default.

So you mean:

  Resolve dependencies of a package when it is selected.
     ( ) automatically, (*) prompt, ( ) prompt with rule below, ( ) never.
     Rule: [                                                ]
  Fix broken packages before installing or removing
     ( ) automatically, (*) prompt, ( ) prompt with rule below, ( ) never.
     Rule: [                                                ]
  Install Recommended packages
     ( ) automatically, (*) prompt, ( ) prompt with rule below, ( ) never.
     Rule: [                                                ]
  Install Suggested packages
     ( ) automatically, (*) prompt, ( ) prompt with rule below, ( ) never.
     Rule: [                                                ]
  Remove unused packages
     ( ) automatically, (*) prompt, ( ) prompt with rule below, ( ) never.
     Rule: [                                                ]

Here, I am thinking "rule" as a way to tell what are preselected.
Something like

"( doc | dev | fr | bin ),  dep<100"

selects all packages belonging to "doc=documentation",
"dev=development", "fr=french", or, "bin=normal-binary" whose dependency
counts are less than 100.

        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract