Re: debconf template translation

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 12:47:48PM +0100, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> * Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@computer.org> [030303 11:21]:
> > 	I agree. This is just what we need, everything else is a _very_
> > ugly hack. IMHO all packages (well, at least 'base') should be in
> > cvs.debian.org, this would help getting po, manpages and debconf
> > templates translated easier.
> > 	I believe the more up-to-date translated packages (in all
> > three areas) are the same packages that are in a public CVS. Take a look at
> > the installer (debian-boot), dpkg and apt (I don't have data to backup this
> > though).
>
> Putting anything in one cvs does not sound reasonable to me. What about
> writing some dpkg-source aquivalent, that can do some magic to
> extract the needed files from a source package?

	Extraction is easy, it's already done BTW. The problem is having
the maintainer "updated" this information and revise it without the need of
having bug reports.
	If, for example, the doc/ (for manpages, READMEs..) dir or the
debian/ (which includes debconf translations) or the po/ dir of a source
package is in CVS the maintainer just has to do a 'cvs update' to retrieve
the translations finished by translators.
	That's why I believe (and I'm not alone on this) that debian/ dirs
should be all in CVS.

	Regards

	Javi