rename - perl vs util-linux

I was having a conversation on irc with a friend, who asked me how to
lowercase file names. I gave him an example using rename 'y/A-Z/a-z'. He
pinged out before he got to test what I wrote, however.

Which was good. Turns out he was using slackware, which has the util-linux
version of rename (which I've never heard of), and that has a different
syntax - my advice would've messed his files up.

Now, I'm glad we've got a good program for renaming files, and I don't
want to use the util-linux one. I'm just wondering if this issue has been
pondered. (It might be, since there's no 'rename' in the util-linux deb
that I could find.) Is it terrible that these two programs are called the
same, or is it okay? Is it a coincidence?