Re: Proposal for removal of mICQ package

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 10:03:06PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:

> Working package and release signature would be more important at this
> point, IMHO.  Debian still lacks a secure and moderately automated
> mechanism for pulling security updates (and I'm not even talking about
> pushing the updates).

  I would like to see signatures of packages, but I know the issue has
 been talked to death previously, and if better minds than mine couldn't
 organize something I'm not sure that I should re-raise the issue
 without a cunning plan in mind..

  As for security updates - what kind of thing did you have in mind?

  It's fairly simple to setup scripts to notify you when a package upon
 your system is the target of a security advisory.  I've packaged such
 a beast, and I've seen several other people sharing their solutions.

  Did you have something more organized in mind?  I could imagine a big
 notification database, where you could choose the role of your
 server(s) and recieve an email automatically when a security release
 was made - but if you didn't have the package installed after all, or
 neglected to keep the "subscription" up to date then this would become
 a waste of time very quickly.

Steve
---
# Debian security advisory monitor: