Re: language-specific packages

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 10:05:33AM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 07:33, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > a local mirror is perfect for my needs....or would be if it wasn't such
> > a PITA to exclude unwanted categories of packages.
>
> Is the PITA just in setting an exclude list in rsync for the files in
> question?

s/rsync/debmirror/ && yes, that's a large part of the problem.

> If so then the work of making an exclude list could probably be distributed
> among other people with the same needs.

there isn't a config file, it's command line options.  e.g.

debmirror /home/ftp/debian $ARGS --exclude='(kernel-(image|headers)|pcmcia-modules|alsa-modules)' --exclude='kernel-patch-2\..*-(ia64|m68k|arm|mips|s390|powerpc)' --include='(kernel-(image|headers)|pcmcia-modules|alsa-modules)-.*-386.*\.deb' --exclude="openoffice\.org-l10n.*\.deb" --include="openoffice\.org-l10n-en_.*\.deb" --exclude "*emacs*" --host $HOST >$LOGFILE 2>&1

the problem is that because there's no consistent pattern in filenames
for foreign-language documentation, it's not possible to create a regexp
that will exclude them all.

i could use an exclude pattern something like, e.g.,
".*-(es|fr|kr|ru)_.*" and that would exclude some (but nowhere near all)
foreign language packages.  it also risks excluding other packages that
just happen to have a filename that matches that pattern.

another problem is that it results in enormously complicated command
lines that are difficult to debug (this could be solved if debmirror had
an exclude/include config file).

> Surely this is the type of thing that can be done by the recipients without
> any help from the archive maintainers?

surely a Language field in the control & Packages files is useful enough
that it could be used for this purpose and many other purposes too.

one useful thing that it would give us is statistics on language
support, e.g an overview of the documentation packages that have/haven't
been translated to other languages.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>