Re: Debian BTS

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 09:12:05AM +0100, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> If you like python (or at least don't mind it), you could reuse parts reportbug.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, reportbug seems to be very clumsy, as it must parse the
HTML, which is subject to change in future versions of the BTS.

It also very specific to the requirements of reportbug, and only does
the minimum required. For instance, it does not even attempt to parse
the tag values (if my understanding of the code after reading it for
only 5 minutes is correct).

(This would seem like an excellent example where XML could be used; the
BTS just needs to provide the bug details in a standard XML format,
unlike HTML format there will be fewer reasons to change this format,
and any program can parse it and display it as it pleases).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>