Re: Proposal for removal of mICQ package

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 06:59, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Maintaining a good relationship with upstream is a sizable chunk of
> > doing a good job maintaining a package. Without such a relationship, you
> > cannot --
> >
> >    -- pass bugs and feature request upstream with any certainty that they
> >       will be heeded
> >    -- be sure that upstream is passing any misdirected (sent directly to
> >       upstream and debian specific) bug reports from Debian users back down
> >       to you
> >    -- find out in advance about any plans that you need to be prepared for
> >    -- make sure that upstream is happy with your work, and that you're
> >       not messing up anything non-obvious in the packaging
>
> My experience is that even with the best possible relationship with upstream
> the last three often don't happen.

Unless they're open enough, and you do enough work on the software to
actually sort-of-qualify as a minor upstream developer yourself.  I have
managed to do this to both Cyrus and fetchmail (while I was maintaining it).
I didn't even try with my other packages, as they don't seem to need that
much attention right now.

This is not always possible, though. But it *can* be aimed for, as long as
you're going to be able to handle the amount of work it generates.

  Henrique Holschuh