Disowning maintainers [was: Proposal for removal of mICQ package]

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 12:06:09AM +0100, Peter Palfrader wrote:

>> This brings me to a more general issue: We need a procedure to
>> "disown" maintainers.

> If you have problems with how a DD maintains his packages bring it
> up to the CTTE.

From the description, here is what I understood:

 - Quote constitution: The Technical Committee may ask a Developer to
   take a particular technical course of action even if the Developer
   does not wish to; this requires a 3:1 majority. For example, the
   Committee may determine that a complaint made by the submitter of a
   bug is justified and that the submitter's proposed solution should
   be implemented.

   The CTTE will make only technical decisions, of the kind "Yes, the
   maintainer did that wrong, we overrule him and say it should be
   that way". It will never, even after having overruled him numerous
   times, declare the maintainer unfit. It is not within its powers /
   roles.

 - Quote webpage of CTTE: The committee is only empowered to make
   technical decisions. If you  feel that someone has been
   misbehaving, the committee probably can't help you much. You may
   wish to talk to the Project Leader, leader@debian.org

   So, for things like "this maintainer closes bug reports without
   reading them", we should contact the DPL? Oh yes, this falls within
   his powers as per "Make any decision for whom noone else has
   responsibility.".

So, yes, we have a procedure, namely "the DPL decides". I still think
this kind of grave decisions should be more distributed.

--
Lionel