Re: On the matter of Qt packaging

Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> writes:

> On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 12:21, Brian Nelson wrote:
>> > - split up libqt3-headers into libqt3-headers and libqt3-compat-headers
>> > since about 30% of the Qt-headers are for compatibility to Qt 1.x and 2.x
>> > versions and not part of the official Qt3 API anymore. If a packager
>> > maintains a package that requires the compat files he should then notify
>> > upstream to fix the includes he uses and until then use
>> > libqt3-compat-headers in his build-dependencies
>>
>> I don't think it should be Debian's responsibility to track Trolltech's
>> API compatibility, especially since many of the current headers support
>> obsolete features anyway.
>
> I think that it is our responsibility to do whatever it takes to make software
> work well in Debian.  I think that having separate packages for the old
> compatability code that most people doing new development won't need is a
> good idea.  I hate it when I accidentally use the wrong API...

However, if you needed to install the compat headers to build a single
package, you would lose the desired effect for all other Qt packages you
build.  A better solution would be to use #warning's instead, as Simon
suggested.

--
My secret to happiness... is that I have a heart of a 12-year-old boy.
It's over here in a jar.  Would you like to see it?