dpkg and directories

I have a package with a few directories in the package structure, which
after the installation are filled with files by the program.
I made a new release removing these empty directories from the package
structure because I wanted to create them in postinst, but when
upgrading dpkg DELETED ALL FILES from one (and only one) of these
directories. Why? I cannot see any difference among them.
As you can probably understand, this is FUCKING ANNOYING...

--
ciao,
Marco