help with g++ transition of FAM

Hi fellows,

I am the maintainer of fam. Shortly after the start of the g++
transition I changed my package as required by the transitioning plan
und uploaded. GNOME libs are recompiled and use the new libfam0c102.
However, I get daily email from people complaining about removed KDE
packages when trying to install GNOME. It's clear, nearly all KDE packages
still depend on the old libfam0 and libfam0c102 conflicts with that. Now
the problem arises: we will have 'old' KDE packages using qt2 and
therefore being compiled with g++-2.95 and 'new' KDE packages using qt3
and being built with g++-3.2. All of them want a libfam but I only
provide a version for g++-3.2. Ryan Murray suggested[0] building a
backward compatible library. Then I would have to also build a
second libfam-dev that depends on that compatibility lib. But libfam0
and libfam0c102 should conflict with each other for both having the same
soname. Now I am on the horns of a dilemma, what should I do?

Thanks in advance, any advice is appreciated,
  Joerg

[0] Bug #177970 http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=177970
--
Joerg "joergland" Wendland
GPG: 51CF8417 FP: 79C0 7671 AFC7 315E 657A  F318 57A3 7FBD 51CF 8417