Re: question regarding prelinking (was: (inc. note from dpkg developers) (was:Bug#XXXXXX: (far too many packages) needs rebuilt for prelinking))

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 11:41:01AM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> I'm not Jack, but I'll give you an example anyway.  Most KDE use a
> significant part of their startup time linking.  Using prelinking with
> KDE will give quicker reponse when starting new KDE applications.

OpenOffice is another thing that wins from prelinking.  Prelinking is
mainly good for things that need large numbers of symbols resolved at
runtime (particularly if they come from many shared libraries).  It's
also useful for binaries that get started very frequently (in tight
loops in shell scripts, for example).