generic emulator front-end

I'm looking for a nice front-end for an enclosed emulator system
(sort of like an arcade cabinet). The requirements are super-simple.
It needs to be able to display a number of large graphics from the
box-art of the games. When the user selects a particular game, it
runs it using the given emulator ("fceu $1" or equivalent). It's
basically your favourite file browser, but instead of 64x64 icons,
it's more like 256x256, and all the pretty trim and fancy gui widgets
are tossed out. I've been digging through freshmeat and google, but
to no avail. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Shaun