Re: (inc. note from dpkg developers) Re: Bug#XXXXXX: (far too many packages) needs rebuilt for prelinking

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 02:34:08PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 01:27:26PM -0600, Adam Heath wrote:

> > > At which point you have duplicates of all your libraries.  In addition
> > > to wasting 167MB on my system, you've created a whole slew of
> > > unreproducible bug reports when libraries get out of sync.
> >
> > Not the entire file, just the needed preload data.  Similiar in idea to
> > /etc/ld.so.cache, or /lib/i686/ style optimiations.
>
> This is why I asked you to come back when you'd read about how prelink
> works.  This isn't practical; it's not data, but an actual modification
> of the binary.  It's advance resolution of the relocations, which means
> that at least the .got section has separate contents.  And that's in
> the middle of a loaded segment.

And that, really, is the problem. It's not insurmountable, it just
requires changing the way that symbol resolution works a bit - and
there's no particularly good reason why we shouldn't do that[0], so long
as it's done carefully.

But I'm not going to work out and propose the specific changes needed
at present; I've already got a couple of other changes in mind for ELF
symbol resolution, and I'm postponing working on them until some of my
other projects are completed.

[0] The only really significant one is ABI backwards-compatibility -
and you don't have that across minor glibc releases anyway.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK