BTS description on web: JACK HOWARTH IS A ...

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 01:37:23PM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:
>
> >> What's the problem with submiting to submit@bugs rather than maintonly@bugs?
> >   $ w3m -dump -cols 72 http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting | grep -2 maintonly | head
> >   If a bug report is minor, for example, a documentation typo or a
> >   trivial build problem, please adjust the severity appropriately and
> >   send it to maintonly@bugs instead of submit@bugs. maintonly will
> >   forward the report to the package maintainer only, it won't forward it
> >   to the BTS mailing lists.
> >
> >   If you're submitting many reports at once, you should definitely use
> >   maintonly@bugs so that you don't cause too much redundant traffic on
> >   the BTS mailing lists. Before submitting many similar bugs you may also
> >   want to post a summary on debian-bugs-dist.
> >
> > (The "post a summary" bit may be out of date; can ordinary users post to
> > -bugs-dist these days?)
>
>   So, yes, these are very special cases. Furthermore, people are not reading
>   the BTS docs all the time and they might have missed such details.

I do not know Jack (I am assuming he is not DD.).

IMHO, it should be very obviously described to point people to use both
addresses in the web page.  I certainly do not expect non-debian
developers to read the developer reference.  After all, web pages are where
the rest of the world get to know Debian BTS.  More specifically:

  http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting.en.html

Under the section "Sending the bug report via e-mail", this describes
"Send email to submit@bugs.debian.org, as described below."

This should have been something like:
"Send email to either submit@bugs.debian.org or maintonly@bugs.debian.org,
as described below."

And rest should have adjusted in accordance with developer reference.

Any volunteer ?? (Thus posed to debian-www)

        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract