Re: Proposal: Debian release numbers

Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 08:58:21PM +0100, Joachim Breitner wrote:

How about using whole number increments -- in ROMAN NVMERALS.
The next version would be Debian IV r1 (for 'release 1').
The first revision of it as a stable release would be Debian IV r2.

Actually, why not? This will (kinda) prevent direct comparisons with
other Distros/OSs because it looks totally different. IV, 8.1, 2003. No
real comparision possible, I'd say. And it would make Debian look really
special (which I think is a positive thing).

As a computer scientist I cannot support the use of any numbering system
which by its very nature prevents zero-indexing!  ;^)

noah

In that case, I propose Mayan numerals as seen in the Long Count on stelae (vertical, least significant lowest):

3, release 2:

 ..

5, release 0:

_____
 <=>

5, release 1:

_____
  .

Of course, you really need name glyphs for version and release to the left, and the zero glyph could look a lot better, but I don't think UTF-8 has anything to help. :-)

--
If you are going to run a rinky-dink distro made by a couple of
volunteers, why not run a rinky-dink distro made by a lot of volunteers?