Re: Proposal: Debian release numbers

Michael Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 10:08:07PM +1100, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> >I'm not sure I agree here. You're just encouraging version number
> >inflation.
> >Is this a plan so we can catch up to other distributions?
>
> That's ridiculous. Are we supposed to have size-wars over how low our
> number is? This proposal is to eliminate the artifical (for debian)
> distinction between a .0 and a .n release and move to a more honest
> integer scheme. That's it--there's no secret version number envy here.

i think this s a excellent idea. i may not agree with the Debian 4
(sarge), prefering Debian 4.0 (sarge) and letting Debian 4.1 (sarge)
being what would have been called Debian 3.1r1

then there is this: other distros change the code name with each point
release. we have done this also, so how about this minor modification:

Debian 4 (sarge)
Debian 4r1 (sarge)

this keeps in line with our past history of using the rX suffix for each
update, and i like this better now that i think of it.

i see no version number inflation, as our version numbers are random
anyway.

-john