Re: Proposal: Debian release numbers

On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 11:08, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 10:54:53AM +0100, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 09:20:54AM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > > I therefore propose that we alter the scheme for release numbers as
> > > follows.
> > >
> > > Debian stable releases will be identified by their code name and a single
> > > release number, starting at the next whole number (4) and incrementing it
> > > for each new stable release.  The next stable release would therefore be
> > > "Debian 4 (sarge)", the release after "Debian 5 (etch)", and so on.
> >
> Is this a plan so we can catch up to other distributions?

No, most certainly not.  I don't see a need to "catch up" with anything.

> Seriously, the reason people remember the name is because you never use the
> number. apt lines use the name, the directories on the CDs/archives/websites
> use the name. Very, very few places use the version numbers, so it's no
> surprise you don't remember it.
>
> So perhaps the real solution is to drop the number altogether and talk about
> woody.0 :)

I thought about that, but the people who buy the CDs (they do exist)
tend to think in terms of the number on the front.  The pattern for that
number is a bit random, however it does have a use - if only to remind
us which order releases go in.

> > Not to mention, I think every one of our code-named releases constitute a
> > major upgrade. Even as a debian developer I would be hard pressed to tell
> > you what the version number of potato(!) was without looking it up. A single
> > number always accompanied by the codename people remember is sure to be more
> > understandable to users as well as reinforce the codename<->number mapping.
>
> All our releases are major because there's such a big delay between each. If
> we released faster they wouldn't be so major.

I spent a good while trying to make sure the wording didn't suggest
anything that could start *this* one up again :)

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant     Have you ever, ever felt like this?  Had strange
http://netsplit.com/      things happen?  Are you going round the twist?