Re: different configs for 386 and 686 kernel

"H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh@quickfur.ath.cx> writes:
> Umm... isn't this a bug?? AFAIK, a kernel with ext2 compiled as a module
> won't be able to boot on an ext2 system.

I wouldn't be surprised if the default kernel image compiles
everything as a module and loads an initrd on boot.  Then you can load
the drivers for your root filesystem and the associated disk from
modules in the initrd, and boot for real this way.  (I haven't looked
recently, though.)  If you didn't do this, you'd need to include all
of the IDE and SCSI disk drivers in the kernel proper, even though
most machines would only use one or two of them.

	-- Abra Mitchell