Re: Migration of non-free packages to testing

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 05:37:36PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Philipp Wolfer <ph.wolfer@newswriter.org> writes:
>
> > Oh well, the world is not that simple. Only because you don't want
> > something to exist it doesn't cease to exist. Even if non-free packages
> > are not in the official Debian distribution they are still available
> > over it. I would love to see all non-free packages be replaced by free
> > equivalents, but at the moment that's not the case.
>
> What makes you think I don't want .debs of non-free software to exist?
> I don't want Debian to be officially associated with them,

You do realise that Debian *is* associated with them at the moment though,
right, and will continue to be until a GR is passed to change that? And
that, in spite of claims like:

| There are no non-free Debian packages, because non-free packages are
| not part of Debian.  We happen to provide a place for them on the
| servers, that's all.

it's not particularly unreasonable to call the non-free packages Debian
distributes in addition to its GNU/Linux distribution, "Debian packages",
even though they aren't a part of the Debian GNU/Linux distribution?

Cheers,
aj