Re: why perl 5.8 won't be in testing for a while

Bart Schuller (schuller@lunatech.com) wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 07:42:07AM -0500, Ardo van Rangelrooij wrote:
> > So far it didn't cause any problems and I definitely don't plan on making
> > it a habit do just get the package in the archive.  From what I've seen
> > it's a combination of broken code and broken tests.
>
> As well as old, superceded and sometimes orphaned and unsupported code.
> XML::DOM and XML::XSLT have nice and simple package names, but are
> definitely not the modules people should use if they are looking for the
> functionality that the name suggests.
>
> The biggest problem with perl modules and character encodings right now
> is getting people to stop using "backward compatible" workarounds. They
> stand in the way of clean, working interfaces for current perl versions.

Define "current".  There are still a lot of people out there that for good
reasons do not and/or cannot use the latest and greatest, but e.g. 5.004
(or something similar).  And so far I've not seen an indication on CPAN to
move "forward".

Thanks,
Ardo
--