Re: RFC: some new deb package flag: "upgrade-conflicts"

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 01:46:07PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 10:39:23PM -0500, Graham Wilson wrote:
> > it just seems like upstream would want to support users who are
> > transistioning from older versions of the software. i think a better
> > policy, rather than something debian specific, would be for debian
> > devels to work with upstream to provide something that can benefit
> > everyone.
>
> [...]  If you need to modify the upstream sources in order to build a
> policy compliant package, then you should propose a nice fix to the
> upstream developers which can be included there, so that you won't
> have to modify the sources of the next upstream version.''

but policy doesnt mandate the support of updating user configuration,
does it?

> Also, compare with the Gnome 2 stuff at the moment: Gnome upstream are
> *strongly* recommending we don't replace Gnome 1 by Gnome 2 even in
> unstable until we've written some config upgrade scripts -- while they

thats a big mess.

> think such things are necessary for mass use of Gnome 2, they also
> preferred to leave the authoring of them to the distros. Who writes
> the code doesn't really matter, as long as it gets written.

i agree. i think this solution is better than a debian specific way of
doing things, such as a dotconf-upgrade. i also appreciate the work
christian has done in trying to write some of these scripts.

--
gram