Re: RFC: some new deb package flag: "upgrade-conflicts"

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 09:21:20AM +0200, Simon Richter wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 10:27:22AM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > The upgrade path from oldstable to stable+1 is to upgrade to stable first.
> > There is no justification to place unnecessary workload on package
> > maintainers just to save users from taking this step.

> Problem is, that users *will* do stuff like this, and supporting it is
> easy if each upgrade step can parse the output from the previous step.

> I've seen this topic on IRC quite often, and the consensus was that it
> should be supported if at all possible.

Um, consensus on IRC isn't worth a hill of beans.  If it's not in Policy,
you have NO reason to expect this to work, and no claim against a package
maintainer when it doesn't.  For my part, I greedily strip legacy code
out of my maintainer scripts when a stable release is finalized -- if you
think leaving this stuff around doesn't make maintenance more difficult,
I have some scripts to show you... :)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer