Re: FWD: When conffiles get cut adrift

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 11:17:26AM -0700, Michael Cardenas wrote:
> it seems that policy does not handle the case in which a conffile is
> removed from a package, unless you consider upgrading a form of
> removal, in which
>
> "# configuration files must be preserved when the package is removed,"
>
> would imply that the package should leave the cruft around.

IMO this case does not apply to the described situation, 'removed' in
this case is intended as opposed to 'purged' because dpkg still know
that the conffile belong to a certain package.

If the conffile is removed from a package (i.e. no more listes as a
conffile) is a matter of the package manager to handle it, because dpkg
will have no clues from now on to know who is the owner of that
conffile.

Cheers.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy