Re: Dependencies on -dev packages

On 04 Sep 2002 05:55:50 -0700
Stephen Zander <gibreel@pobox.com> wrote:

>     Junichi> So that libbar-dev can conflict with packages that libbar
>     Junichi> is incompatible with at run-time, so that other shared
>     Junichi> libraries that are incompatible do not get loaded in the
>     Junichi> same shared namespace.
>
> FWIW, I agree with Dale; this is using a Howitzer to protect your
> front door when a simple padlock will do.  Worse, the Howitzer guards
> the door while the windows at the back of the house remain open, cf
> packages with module extensions.

Notice that gnome1 breakage could have been prevented, if this scheme
was enforced stronger.
And I'm watching for library breakages, in case you haven't noticed.
There is a fairly good list of breakages that I saw in the libpkg-guide.

http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/ -- please read it at least once,
if you maintain a library package.

regards,
	junichi