Re: Deleting /var/cache/*

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 21:47, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Sep 2002, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>
> > Ofcourse, it could just do system("mkdir -p /var/cache/whatever/dir/it/is")
> > everytime it wants to open a file but that would be inefficient.
>
> If it has the permissions to do so. Not everything runs as root and can
> create directories belowe /var/cache/.

I agree 100%, that would be exactly my problem with apt-cacher: the
install script makes/chowns /var/cache/apt-cacher, but if the sysadmin
later nukes that dir, apt-cacher can't recreate it. It runs as Apache's
user (usually www-data), so if the cache dir doesn't exist when it's
called, it's stuffed.

Jonathan Oxer
Ph +61 3 9723 9399 / Fx +61 3 9723 4899
GPG key: http://www.ivt.com.au/gpg/jon.oxer.gpg