Re: Packages.bz2, Sources.bz2, Contents-*.bz2, oh my

On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 01:38:52PM +0200, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> Still, the Packages files should only be removed after no software in
> our stable distribution depends on it. If you remove the Packages file
> from unstable now you will break apt-proxy (and perhaps other tools
> too).

Does apt-proxy use Packages? In my tests, it always seems to use
Packages.gz, even for rsync. Or maybe I am getting confused between
requested file by client and the file downloaded by apt-proxy?

pbuilder does seem to require downloading Packages, not Packages.gz.
Why? Is this a debootstrap bug?

scrooge:/home/bam/source/debian/amavis/amavis-20020517# pbuilder create --basetgz base-unstable.tgz --distribution unstable
W: /root/.pbuilderrc does not exist
Distribution is unstable.
Building the build environment
 -> running debootstrap
I: Retrieving http://snoopy.apana.org.au:8081/debian/dists/unstable/Release
I: Validating /var/cache/pbuilder/build/8772/./var/lib/apt/lists/debootstrap.invalid_dists_unstable_Release
I: Retrieving http://snoopy.apana.org.au:8081/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/Packages

This means it has to download the entire uncompressed file, when the
compressed file is already cached by apt-proxy.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>