Re: install-info and LSB

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 11:19:26PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> As it has been pointed out hundreds of times, it is GNU that distributes a
> program under then name 'install-info' which is incompatible with the dpkg
> version. :)
>
> (The version in dpkg has seniority.)

It's not a matter of seniority, it's a matter of producing the highest
quality distribution.

The dpkg-iasearch package used to contain a program called dpkg-query.
When the dpkg maintainers added a program with the same name, the
dpkg-iasearch maintainer renamed his file, without worrying about
'seniority'. I think he did well to do so, don't you?

Debian would do well to rename its install-info for the same reasons.

-M-