Woody Install Error -- Not bootable

I am just installing a Woody system (bf 2.4) on a 486 DX 33 tonight and
after finally getting to the stage to make the system bootable, the
system is left in an unbootable state.  It does this to the hard drive
as well as the floppy disk I made with the installer.
The error is the following

Uncompressing Linux ...

invalid compressed format (err=2)

System halted

This uses the installer's rescue disk kernel which boots fine, so I
don't know where the problem lies. I tried to get around it by using the
rescue disk to boot and install a different kernel image however, I
couldn't do that since the actual hard drive / is mounted as /target by
the installer.  So. I'm not sure where to go now, any ideas?

Thanks
--
Stephen Depooter
<sbdep@myrealbox.com>