Re: Why does modules.conf go in /etc, anyway?

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 10:22:31AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 07:15:36PM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> > On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> > > The file is not intended to be edited. It is generated from
> > > other files. It really doesn't belong in /etc.
> > > Why not put it in /var, where it belongs?
> > Because /var may not be mounted early enough during system boot.

> We could always ask a debconf question about it...

> (Seriously, we could. "Is /var mounted locally?" with a low priority,
> and a default answer based on grep'ing /etc/fstab, followed by a question
> about an alternative location that needs to be looked at by packages
> that run early. Something like:

But even /var being mounted locally is not sufficient for modules.conf.
You may have multiple SCSI hosts in a machine, and /var may be on a
drive attached to one that's loaded as a module after boot.  It almost
seems necessary to me that /var-local exist on all systems, if this
solution is going to be entertained.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer