Re: what about Database?

On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 06:53:15PM +0200, Grzegorz Prokopski wrote:
> W li?cie z nie, 09-06-2002, godz. 13:46, Florian Weps pisze:
> > >
> > > Yes,
> > > I would like to have a database policy in order to install applications
> > > that require an SQL engine.
> > >
> > > Maybe a database mailing would be the best place where to start a talk
> > > about it.
> > >
> > > If you want to ask for that mailing list I will second it.
> >
> > So would I.
>
> Hmm... I haven't seen so much traffic about databases here.
> I think that you should first consider trying to discuss the things here
> and if the traffic grows - then move to separate mailing list.
> But of course maybe there sth in d-d that prevents successful discussion
> on this topic? (no idea)

Lots of traffic, which makes it hard to track down DB specific stuff,
especially in the archives.

> I would be afraid that this way you would create another deadly silent
> mailing list with few subscribers.

Debian-games comes to mind. You could be right. I'd like to try anyway,
and I believe that a debian-db yould be more successful because:
	* debian is not the distribution of choice for gamers
	* debian _is_ popular on web-servers, running CGIs and servlets
	  connected to data bases. Think of all the groupware packages.
Debian-java, for example, is not high-volume, but it is nice to have
all java related discussion in one place.

> I am interested in this topic too, but it seems unsure if creation of
> separate m-l will succeed.

So let's get started discussing here, for now.

For one thing, I am currently packaging SQL Relay, a data base
connection proxy.  See bug #119700 for the ITP. The upstream
home page is at <http://firstworks.com> Usable packages
for i386 and powerpc are at <http://web.green.ch/fweps> and
<http://ehec.foorborne-net.de/~wepsf>. Since this software is so diverse
(many DB engines, many APIs), I can't really test it all by myself;
I _do_ have testers, but could use more.

Secondly, Giuseppe suggested a policy document for packages that rely
on a DB engine.  I don't see much need for yet another policy document
(packaging SQL Relay  got me in contact with many policy documents -
all useful, mind you), but maybe I am overlooking some serious points -
such as what happens to client software when the DB gets updated. What
are your arguments in favour of a DB-policy, Giuseppe?

> Regards
>
>						Grzegorz Prokopski

I am subscribed to debian-devel; no need to To: or Cc: me.

Florian

--
Ben> I don't think anybody has done a Intercal machine yet, since Intercal is
Ben> not exactly the #1 langauge to program in.
Paul> Intel has one, but few seem to want to buy it for some odd reason.
                      -- Ben Franchuk and Paul Repacholi in comp.sys.dec (2002)