Re: chroot in /usr and initrd booting

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 11:04:30AM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Steve Langasek wrote:
> > With what kernels must you do a chroot after pivot_root?  On systems
> > where I'm using pivot_root + Linux 2.4.18, I only have to do 'cd /'.

> Iirc that is the obsolete way of doing it which might be removed in
> the 2.5 kernel series.

Ok.  The pivot_root manpage mentions there are different ways of doing
this, but seemed very vague about it.  So in 2.5, it's expected that
pivot_root will change the root for the kernel and for all subsequent
processes, but already running processes must chroot()?

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer