Re: Woody release - WHAT is current status

On Thursday, June 6, 2002, at 02:03 PM, Eduard Bloch wrote:
So the question is - why do we not release Woody for the 6 architectures
and release others when they are ready? I sounds a bit weird, but I mean
it really seriously. When we have a working structure for the majority
of architectures (to be more precise, for >> 90 percent of Debian
users), why not use it AS-IS?

I see your point, releasing without security infrastructure is
dangerous, there may be already crackers waiting for it. But waiting too
long is wastage of time.

Why does it matter so much when it's released? Who cares. Release it when it's ready. People that want to use woody can. No one is stopping them from going all s/potato|stable/woody/g on their /etc/apt/sources.list file. Since 95% of users use i386 anyway, for all practical purposes woody is released since any security problems that are found in woody will be uploaded for i386 arch pretty damn quick regardless of whether woody is "officially released" or not. Just deal with it. For crying out, maybe you should start up a www.mozilla^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hwoodyquest.com website so you can bitch and bitch to your hearts content that 1.0^H^H^H3.0 hasn't released yet.

--Paul Baker

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
         -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

GPG Key: http://homepage.mac.com/pauljbaker/public.asc