Re: It's Huntin' Season

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 08:38:02PM +0000, Malcolm Parsons wrote:
> Since this section specifically talks about init.d scripts, it overrides
> generalities such as the blanket "all files should be conffiles"[1].
> Now, since I control all variables for /etc/init.d/devpts.sh in
> /etc/default/devpts, then /etc/init.d/devpts.sh does not need to be
> markes as a conffile."
>
> My comment on this:
>
> The first line says "should", this lets Ben claim that an init.d script
> is not a configuration file, so it therefore doesn't need to be handled
> as one.  Is this really what the author of this section of policy
> intended?  Is it too late to change policy so it says "must"?

The /etc/default/devpts file does let you configure the init
script, but can Ben be sure that the local administrator will
never have any other changes they wish to make to devpts.sh?

I was going to say that the same thing applies to /etc/init.d/rcS;
probably there's no obvious reason to edit it either. However,
it isn't a conffile either! (Provided by the sysvinit package.)

I think this is still a bug. It is unintuitive that there are
files in /etc that the local admin is not allowed to edit.
Further, there's no harm at all in /etc/init.d/devpts.sh being a
conffile.

Hamish