Re: DEBIAN_FRONTEND env.var case sensitivity

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 12:55:55PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Jochen Voss wrote:
> > I ask because some NMU introduced a line like
> >         if [ "$DEBIAN_FRONTEND" != "Noninteractive" ] \
> > into fdutil's postinst.  Should this be changed then?
> Yes.

No, it shouldn't.

Historically, DEBIAN_FRONTEND has been sent to "Noninteractive", this
has changed recently to be "noninteractive", apparently. The "correct"
way to handle this is to:

	(a) not care wherever possible. if you use debconf, this should be
	    the case.

	(b) be case insensitive where possible. this is what debconf does.
	    something like:
		if [ "$DEBIAN_FRONTEND" ]; then
			DEBIAN_FRONTEND=`echo "$DEBIAN_FRONTEND" | tr A-Z a-z`
		fi
		if [ "$DEBIAN_FRONTEND" = "noninteractive" ]; then
		fi

	(c) use the "Noninteractive" which is what debootstrap and
	    sbuild set

Be conservative in what you output (ie, don't change from Noninteractive to
noninteractive when it'll break packages) and liberal in what you accept
(ie, don't worry about whether it's upper or lowercase).

> No, this is a bug in FAI which set the environment to Noninteractive
> incorrectly. Both fdutils (and libc6, and a few others) and FAI
> should be fixed to use all lowercase.

That is not a "fix".

Cheers,
aj

The daffodils are coming. Are you?
      linux.conf.au, February 2002, Brisbane, Australia
                                --- http://linux.conf.au/